Post Operative Instructions Endodontic Surgery
- 1.Avoid strenuous activity for the remainder of the day. Routine, non-strenuous activity is not harmful, unless otherwise directed. Smoking and alcohol consumption delay the wound healing process and should be avoided for at least 3 days following surgery.
- 2. Avoid manipulation of the facial tissues as much as possible. Do not raise the lip or retract the cheeks to inspect the surgical site, as you may dislodge the sutures (stitches).
- 3. Some oozing of blood from the surgical site is normal during the day and evening of surgery. If worried, use a warm tea bag for 20 minutes over the area. If bleeding still continues, call us or an emergency room immediately. Slight swelling and facial skin discoloration (bruising) may be experienced. The swelling will peak at 48-72 hours after surgery. This is temporary, and will resolve on its own in a few days. If you experience prolonged swelling or a rise in body temperature greater than 98.6 F, call us immediately.
- 4. To minimize the above, apply an ice bag with firm pressure to the face directly over the surgical site. You should apply the ice bag alternately 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, for 3 to 4 hours following surgery.
- 5. Post surgical discomfort should be minimal, but the surgical site will be tender and sore. For this reason you should follow the analgesic (pain pill) regimen prescribed by your doctor.
- 6. The sutures (stitches) that have been placed must be removed to ensure proper healing. It is important that you return at the appointed time for suture removal.
- 7. Starting tomorrow, rinse gently with warm salt water (1/2 tsp. per 8oz.) 3 to 4 times a day for a week.
- 8. Tooth brushing can be resumed 24 hours after the surgery in the rest of the mouth, but the surgical site should be avoided for 48 hours. Brushing of the surgical area after 48 hours is recommended for better healing but should be done gently to avoid gum recession.
- 9. If surgery was performed in the upper jaw and the sinus was involved, over the counter nasal sprays, such as Afrin, for a week is recommended.
- 10. Should any complications arise, do not hesitate to call Rancho Cucamonga Phone Number (909) 989-0899 during office hours. For weekends or evenings, an emergency number will be provided.
PATHOLOGY BIOPSY PATIENTS
Please be advised that your biopsy specimen will be professionally processed by Omni Path Diagnostics headquarter in California (888) 882-0077 and you might receive billing correspondence directly from Omni Path Diagnostics (Laboratory). Some medical insurances may cover lab fees. Please bring a your medical insurance card and a copy will be submitted with your specimen.